Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


My friend who is into nutrition and working out gave this recipe to me and I love it!  It's a great source of healthy protein and is delicious over brown rice.  It makes a lot so you will have plenty for lunch the next day.  It's actually a recipe that she changed to make healthier.  I put the ingredients that I used and the actual ingredients in parenthesis 

1 1/4 lbs ground turkey (1- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef)
3/4 cups rolled oats - add more until it has a thicker consistency about 1/4 cup more
2 egg whites (2 eggs)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Few grains pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Sauce
1/2 cup honey (1/2 cup brown sugar)
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/4 cup low sugar teriyaki sauce (1/4 cup BBQ sauce)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients; mix well.  (I think because it is ground turkey it will be a little more wet than if using beef) Form into balls, each about 2 inches in diameter.  Place in a casserole dish.  Combine sauce ingredients and blend thoroughly.  Heat and pour over meatballs.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  This made 2 casserole pans full.  

1 comments:

Zoo Keeper said...

I have a fever! I've had it on and off for a couple of days! Did you throat hurt? I'm going on a cruise next week! Should I go to the doctor! Help NURSE KAMY help!