That night I started to think of all of my memories from Girl's Camp and I couldn't stop laughing! From pulling off the "perfect prank" to our leaders getting us completely lost on our 3rd year hike. Can you hike, can you climb, can you starve all the time, can you swim, can you stroke, can you build a boat?
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
It pays to go to Girls Camp!
I'm sure everyone that went to Girl's Camp has wonderful memories! On Friday some skills that I learned came in very handy. Casey was helping out with the 4th year hike in our stake. The hike consists of hiking down, spending the night and then canoeing down the Colorado River. The thing is, the men go early in the day, take boats and pull the canoes up river so they are waiting for the girls. Our whole family got to go, I didn't bring my camera so I don't have pictures, and we had fun, well let's just say it was an adventure. We started out pulling 3 canoes. We didn't have a very powerful boat so we couldn't go very fast. There was a lot of wind which created a lot of currents which made the boats go sideways. One boat passed us and took one of our canoes so we were down to 2. After going a little ways, the back canoe tipped over and was upside down. Luckily the oars were still in there, we were worried we would have to go searching. Anyway, Casey was trying to figure out the best way to get the water out of the canoe and I knew just what to do, thanks to my days at Camp Ritchie. I climbed in the face up canoe and Casey and I pulled the other one on upside down and let the water out. We thought it might help to have some weight in the canoe so I got to go for a little ride. By the way, the water was COLD!!!! This is water that comes out the bottom of Hoover Dam and it was freezing! Later Cade joined me and while we were getting situated the rope connecting the canoe to the boat got unhooked and as Casey started to leave Cade freaked out screaming, "Don't leave us Daddy!!!" Even though this day didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked, we will have many more memories than if it had.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My back aches, my belts too tight, my hips shake from left to right, say une-unegawa, the I's have the powa' say une-unegawa, the I's need a showa'.
I was thinking of that too!
Kamy I found your blog off Nicole's. I loved the camp story. I went to girls camp 6 years as the YCL leader. I always wanted to do that hike, but never got to.. Your so lucky! One year they found a rattle snake!!! I also love the recipes you shared I am always looking for good recipes. I am excited to have Clare in my class this next year, and to get to know you and your family. Lisa
Post a Comment