Thursday, July 24, 2008

Frozen Ice Cream Delight



Delight is the perfect word to describe this creation.  It has oreos, ice cream, chocolate and cool whip, all food groups that we enjoy separately and together.  I mean it really doesn't get any better than this.  This is the dessert that Casey requests, even on Christmas Eve (it's not THAT cold in Las Vegas!)  We even had a neighbor that didn't eat sweets but had a Sixth Sense for when I made this and always had an excuse to come over every night for a few days.  Beware, a little can go a long way which makes it last that much longer!!!

2 1/2 cups Oreo crumbs, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 gallon of ice cream, softened, we use vanilla but I'm sure chocolate chip or chocolate would be great!
2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla 
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts (We don't included these)
1 carton (8 oz) cool whip, thawed

Combine 2 cups of cookie crumbs with sugar and melted butter.  Press onto the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  (I usually combine everything in the pan so I don't have to dirty a bowl) Freeze for 15 minutes.  
Spread ice cream over crumbs.  Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.  Begin fudge sauce as it needs to cool to room temperature. 
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate chips, evaporated milk and butter.  Bring to a boil and boil for 8 minutes.  I always stir the whole time so it doesn't burn, learned from experience.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Cool to room temperature.
Spoon sauce over ice cream layer; sprinkle with peanuts (optional).  Freeze until firm.  Spread cool whip on top and sprinkle with remaining crumbs.  Freeze at least 3 hours before serving.  ENJOY!!

0 comments: