1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup salsa (I use mild and have noticed a little more kick when I used medium)
2 tsp sugar
1-2 tsp chili powder (I only use 1)
1 tsp fennel seed (I have never put this in because I don't have any, but you might want to give it a try. Let me know if you do!)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
9 lasagna noodles
1 carton (16 oz) cottage cheese
4 cups (1 lb) shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 grated Parmesan cheese
In a large kettle or dutch oven, cook beef, sausage, and onion until the meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a greased 9x13 baking dish, layer a third of the noodles and meat sauce, half of the cottage cheese, a third of the mozzarella and a third of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before cutting.
Cheesy Garlic Bread
If you like garlic you will love this bread, it's definitely not just buttered bread. Of course you can dial down on the garlic to fit your family's taste because it does call for a bit. Very easy!
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 loaf french bread, halved lengthwise
3 T grated Parmesan cheese
In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic and oregano; spread on cut sides of bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve hot.
3 comments:
Jeff loved lasagne but I've always been too nervous to try to make it. Maybe this will be the recipe to eliminate my fear of lasagne!
Welcome to the blogosphere.
Yes- welcome, welcome! Just thought I'd say hello and let you know that we cannons also have a blog! I'm excited for your recipes though- maybe I'll try being a bit more domestic:)
I'd say the fennel seed would be worth trying, I love them. I put them on homemade pizza, and in homemade gyro meat. Something about the flavor I love, you'll have to try them next time. Now salsa in lasagna, that I'll have to try!
Post a Comment